Beneficiaries of the rural and urban grant of the Federal Government, have alleged that the operators of the scheme in the State of Osun, of embezzling the funds.
They particularly accused Governor Adegboyega Oyetola and his Senior Special Assistant on Social Investment, Mr. Lukman Bello, of attempts to divert the funds, especially after the July 16 governorship election.
Some of the beneficiaries also told Adulawo News that the activities of the scheme have been at a lull, since the July election, a move forced them to report the Coordinator, Mr. Bello to the Federal Government, which made him organise an enrollment event in October, one they were yet to receive due alerts.
The rural and urban empowerment grant, is part of the COVID-19 relief programme of the Federal Government, for artisans, market men and women, as well as less privileged members of the society, disbursed through the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, led by Hajiya Sa’adiya Umar Farouk.
The programme, is replicated in states across the federation, with Osun as no exception.
Speaking with Adulawo News on Saturday two of those captured at the October enrollment event who are Confectioneries and Decoration segment of the artisans, Mrs. Taiwo Afolabi and Mr. Jide Kumapayi, said they were yet to receive the alert of N20,000, which previous enrollees in the scheme, had received.
According to them, the managers of the grant in Osun, have not been transparent about the scheme ever since the ruling party, lost its re-election scheme, thereby jeopardising the chances of beneficiaries, whose monies have been received at the state level.
They said: “The managers of the scheme in Osun have not been transparent on the activities of the scheme, after the last governorship election in the state. First, the coordinator did not organise any enrollment meeting from July to October. Some of our people who were expecting to take their turns in the scheme waited until Mr. Bello was instructed by the Minister to continue the scheme.
“They came back in October to do the enrollment process where we supplied our information and account details. We have waited since then with nothing to show for it. Neither have we been paid or received information on when we will be paid. We even have information that he paid some people a paltry sum of N2,000 in cash. That is too bad. Losing an election does not mean government business should stop. It is the money of all Nigerians, so we are entitled to benefit from it.
“We call on Governor Oyetola and the Honourable Minister to come to our aid and call Bello and his cohorts to order.”