Former President, Goodluck Jonathan has rejected the N100million Nomination and Expression of Interest forms, bought for him by some northern groups to contest the 2023 presidential election on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The groups had purchased the forms in the name of Jonathan on Monday, saying he was the right person to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari.
Reacting to the alleged purchase of the nomination forms, Jonathan’s spokesman, Ikechukwu Eze dismissed the groups, saying that the former President has not authorised anyone to purchase forms for him.
Eze said, “It has come to our notice that a group has purportedly purchased Presidential Nomination and Expression of Interest forms, of the All Progressives Congress APC, in the name of former President Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
“We wish to categorically state that Dr. Jonathan was not aware of this bid and did not authorize it.
Read Also BREAKING: 2023: Northern Coalition Obtains APC Presidential Forms For Jonathan
“We want to state that if the former President wanted to contest an election, he would make his intentions clear to the public and will not enter through the back door.
“While we appreciate the overwhelming request by a cross-section of Nigerians, for Dr. Jonathan to make himself available for the 2023
Presidential election, we wish to state, that he has not in anyway, committed himself to this request.
“Buying a presidential aspiration form in the name Dr. Jonathan without his consent, knowing the position he had held in this country, is considered an insult to his person. “The general public is therefore advised to disregard it.”
Speculations had been rife that Jonathan was preparing to defect to the APC and seek the presidential ticket of the party.
He also told some his supporters who called on him to enter the presidential race that he would not disappoint them.
However, some Nigerians, including human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, argued that his candidature would breach the constitution.
Falana had based his position on Section 137 (3) of the Constitution, which says: “A person who was sworn in to complete the term for which another person was elected as president shall not be elected to such office for more than a single term.”